Monday, August 2, 2010

Android Project: an Experience on Doing Something You're Scared Of

"You must do what you think you cannot do." -Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm in my first term of my junior year of my Software Engineering degree. We go on our internship next year, and the professors are not wasting their time, let me tell ya. I have two software projects for now, and there are more to come. One is for Software Architecture, and we chose an Android App to apply core principles that we are learning.

Our app is the w5 Notifer. Basically, it accepts who, what, where, when, and why keyword inputs from the user, generates a proper English text, and automatically sends it to 3 of your specified contacts (which are saved in your phone's memory).

Well, we are finally done! It may look a bit basic, but for beginning Java developers, Android can be finicky and quite detailed. Abe will put up the app in the market soon (it's free! ..it's Android!), and I will post a link here.

Here are some of the things that I found useful. A note about Android: Since it's relatively new, and it keeps on updating, make sure the tutorial you are learning from matches your current SDK version; otherwise, it won't work. It's actually quite a bit hard to find tutorials on Android since it's just now getting popular; that's why I decided to post what we found useful here.





This is a GREAT GREAT GREAT tutorial on the UI of Android.

Part 1: Layouts
Part 2: Views
Part 3: More Views
Part 4: Even More Views

...and of course
SMS messaging in Android

...and let's not miss Shared Preferences.

and finally, leaving the best for last
http://developer.android.com/index.html.

The API has everything you'll ever need.

Yours Truly,
Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment